Saturday, November 24, 2007

Love all Around

Love, love, love. Love is all around....so they say. Not too long ago an explicit movie was made on that very premise entitled Love Actually. The movie explored the quite often immoral realtionships (the ups and downs of them) of several individuals. "Love" in this movie was displayed in some very interesting ways, from a worldly point of view. I do NOT recomend it!

So, if love is not what the world says it is, then we may ask the question, "What is L-O-V-E and how is it shown?"....this word that is often used in the same sentence as pizza, your black Sketchers, and even your spouse.

The beautiful people of Brazil are not accustomed to hiding their "love." They are extremely affectionate people. I believe their country modo could be, "If you love someone, SHOW IT." It is not unusual while walking through the mall or through the grocery store to find people of all ages making out. One might think this type of behavior is only your youths, but not in Brasilia. Some might say these public displays of affection are their way of showing love.

The Bible has many things to say about love. Jesus spoke on the topic often. He said the world would know that we are his disciples because of our love for one another. In John 21 the Son of God has a little conversation with Simon Peter about the topic. We find the Lord repeating himself in this selection of scripture. He repeats himself because the point he is making is very very important! Simple, but valuable. He asks Simon, son of Jonas, if he loves him three times. Three times Simon, son of Jonas, replys that indeed he does. All three times, the Lord's response to him is almost identical. Paraphrasing it Melinda style it says something to the affect of, "Well then SHOW it by feeding my lambs and feeding my sheep." It was a command. He didn't say, "Well, when you have time show me you love me by giving people spiritual and physical food." Or, "If you have the energy, love me by feeding others." He just simply said, "Feed my sheep."

I've been thinking about this piece of scripture alot lately. This is a command. An imperative sentence. I do love the Lord, and so I must show it. Am I?

Recently, the Lord has opened an amazing door. He is allowing me to donate my time on the weekends at an orphanage for abandoned boys. I couldn't be more thrilled! On Saturdays, I will be sharing the love of God, the spiritual meat, with these abandoned children through teaching (they have little education) and through the Word. However, the Lord convicted me that I could do more. These boys are also in need of physical food to eat, and so I will also be giving funds monthly to help nourish these children. Many of you know that I have no income here. I am here solely on your support. I tell you this not to put myself on a pedastool. I tell you this because you too can help feed his lambs and his sheep. If you would like to demonstrate your love for the Lord by supporting me in this endeavor, please see the information on the side of this blog that says "Supporting the Call." You will be doing more than sending a missionsary to Brasilia, Brasil. You will be feeding the hungry, as we are commanded to do. Those of you who are supporting me already, I can't thank you enough for reaching out into the world in the name of Jesus! Let's feed his lambs together! Blessings and peace on you in Jesus name!

So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

John 21: 15-17

3 comments:

Karen said...

God bless you Melinda!!
You have such an awesome heart, Jesus is so great I encourage you in your teachings with those boys, God will bless you even more. THanks for obeying the Lord it really is a big deal. Please keep Mallory in your prayers. I am praying that God continues to do great miracles for you & through you. Love ya bunches,Karen

Nicole said...

AMEN! And I bet there is no speed limit on this highway either...so let's go fast! I am glad to hear the teachers are coming...that will make things different this semester...and God has allowed you to go before them so that you can help light the way! It was such an encouragement to see you...you looked great! I too believe that this is going to be an incredible year! God hears and He will answer! Send me a pretty pic when you get a minute!
Love Ya!
Nicole

Nicole said...

AMEN! And I bet there is no speed limit on this highway either...so let's go fast! I am glad to hear the teachers are coming...that will make things different this semester...and God has allowed you to go before them so that you can help light the way! It was such an encouragement to see you...you looked great! I too believe that this is going to be an incredible year! God hears and He will answer! Send me a pretty pic when you get a minute!
Love Ya!
Nicole